Friday, March 29, 2013

Here's a little something to tide you over...

Hey everyone, I am out enjoying the cherry blossoms in Kyoto for a few days so here's a lesson to tide you over until I get back!

Do you know what "to tide (someone) over" means?

I think it comes from the days when sailors depended on the tides (the movement of the ocean going in & out in time with the moon) and after landing somewhere they often had to wait for the tide to come in again before they could leave.

These days it is used whenever someone must wait for something and to help them survive the wait they will get a snack or sample to help them pass the time.

Ed: I can't believe we have to wait 4 months for new episodes of Dexter~!

Pat: Well, if you need something to tide you over there is a series of animated Dexter webisodes online.

Ed: What?! I had no idea cool!

--------------

Tommy: Mom, I'm starving~!

Mom: We're having dinner in 3 hours...

Tommy: But Mom I'm really hungry. I can't wait so long!

Mom: Ok, ok. Here's a granola bar to tide you over.

Tommy: Thanks Mom ^_^

Any questions?

Have a great day,

Phil 

No comments: