Saturday, March 9, 2013

Tips on using THE

Many Japanese English speakers struggle with using THE correctly. It is used to specify a specific thing, person or place.

I am going to the post office.

In this case, both the speaker & the listener know which post office the speaker's talking about. It is the one he always goes to. In the past, small towns only had one post office, bank, store, etc. So people just used THE+place and this continues today.

Of course, this causes confusion to people knew in town. Someone says "Party at the beach" and all the local people know that they are talking about the popular beach everyone goes to but someone from outside that group has no idea which beach they're talking about!

Here are a few more tips for using THE:

It is ALWAYS THE + musical instruments. 

I play the drums.

He plays the violin.

My niece can play the flute.

When I was young I wanted to play the guitar but I gave up.

When talking about musical instruments, you are specifying which one you play so we use the!  

BUT when talking about games we don't use the. It is unnecessary. Games don't need the!

I play basketball.

He likes to play baseball.

Do you play soccer?

Al: What sports can your daughter play?

Helen: She can play volleyball. 

If you are talking about a SPECIFIC match you should use the:

I played in the soccer game last weekend. Did you see me score the winning goal?

I have to go to the stadium to see my son play in the tennis match.

Any questions?

Have a nice weekend!

Phil    


No comments: