Monday, March 4, 2013

Stop daydreaming! Get your head out of the clouds!

Hey everyone, for the first lesson this month I will take my inspiration from my Japanese studies. I recently learned the word 空想 (くうそう). For example:

 あの人はいつも空想してばかりだ!

That guy is always daydreaming!

The kanji mean sky + idea so this made me think of another possible translation:

That guy always has his head in the clouds!

This sounds a bit more poetic. It is made using the idiom to have one's head in the clouds. Here's a sample conversation:

Harry: Hey Tom!

Tom: ...(staring off into to space)

Harry: HELLo?!!? Earth to Tom...

Tom: Oh sorry, I had my head in the clouds.

Harry: What were you daydreaming about?

Tom: Marrying Jessica ^_^

Harry: What? She's way out of your league!

Tom: Yeah, but it's fun to daydream about. 

Have a nice week,

Phil  
    

No comments: