Saturday, June 29, 2013

Other than vs except

Hey everyone, for my last lesson of the month I'd like to talk about something that non-native english speakers often mix up: other than and except.

These have really similar meanings but t heir usage is slightly different.

Other than

This is the same as in Japanese, ほかに, it is used at the start of the sentence to exclude the next thing you mention.

Other than chocolate, what sweets do you like?
(What other sweets do you like(not including chocolate)?)

I know you've been to Seoul so... other than Seoul where have you been in Korea?

Other than that, how was your trip?

Except

This is used at the middle of end of sentences, it is usually used with LISTS.

I like all kinds of chocolate except white chocolate, I hate it.

He loves playing sports, except he doesn't play winter sports. He dislikes the cold.

I am usually free on weeknights except on Thursdays...

You can choose anything on the menu except the lobster.

Have a good week,

Phil


No comments: