Tuesday, June 11, 2013

When I was a kid...

...I always used to play using my imagination. It was great!

Today we are looking at the word:

kid


This word has a few meanings.

The original meaning is a baby goat!

Wow, what a cute mama goat & kid!

These gloves are many of the finest kid skin.

These days most people don't use this meaning as most people aren't farmers anymore.

The most common usage in North American English is as the casual word for child.

Saying "When I was a child" sounds very formal and old fashioned to people in Canada & the US. Instead, we say "When I was a kid".

Did you see that kid break the window?

Do you want to have kids?

Kids often get into trouble.

When I was a kid, I loved Star Wars!

I'm not a kid anymore, I'm 19!

He's just a kid, he can't play with us.

That's my kid brother.

The last two are a related meaning that says someone is younger than yourself.

The last major meaning of kid is as a verb: to kid. This means to joke, to pull someone's leg, to try and trick someone, to tease.

No kidding, Tom got married again?
meaning really, you're not trying to trick me

I was just kidding.
meaning I was just joking.

Stop kidding around this is serious!
meaning stop making jokes

My Dad likes to kid around.
meaning my Dad likes to make jokes & trick people

Are you kidding? No way!

The last one can be used to ask someone "Really?" when they tell you something incredible or add me at the end to express frustration when something unbelievable happens.

Are you kidding me? Someone dented my car! Again!

Are you kidding me? The train is late again!?

Have a nice week,

Phil



No comments: