Sunday, June 16, 2013

sometime vs. sometimes

Hey guys, do you know the difference between the two?

Sometime in Japanese would be いつか meaning someday or at some unknown point in the future.

Give me a call sometime.

I want to check out that new bar sometime.

If you're in the neighborhood sometime, drop by.

It is usually used to talk about the relatively near future. If you want to talk about something that is a dream of yours you'd like to do at some point but probably can't use someday. It has a bit of a wishful feeling to it, you aren't sure if it will happen but you'd like it to.

Someday, I wanna visit Antarctica.

We will meet again someday.

I'll be back in Peru someday.

I'll marry that woman someday, I just know it!

Sometimes in Japanese would be 時々ときどき)it means every once in awhile, occasionally, etc.

I like to shop online sometimes.

Sometimes, I have a drink on the way home from work.

Jim: Do you & Gary often hang out?

Darryl: Yeah, sometimes.

He sometimes takes lessons on Sundays, but usually he goes to the Friday class.

Any questions?

Phil

No comments: