Friday, August 16, 2013

Wanna go for a dip?

Hey everyone, summer vacation has started so I am not sure how often I will be posting on this blog so here  is a small lesson.

to dip

This is a verb that means to go down briefly. It can be used in many ways:

When he slow-danced with me, he dipped me & we kissed. It was romantic!

I dipped my toes into the pool to check the water's temperature.

Don't dip your chips into the dip twice! No double-dipping!

You can see in the last example that dip can also be a noun. The first meaning is a kind of sauce that you dip your chips or vegetables in to give it some extra flavor.

The second meaning is a short swim. This is a word we often use during the summer. So if someone asks you:

Wanna go for a dip?

They mean:

Do you want to go for a quick swim?

Have a great summer vacation!

Phil


No comments: