Monday, November 3, 2008

Fall Vocabulary ^_-

Hey everyone, November is finally here and the weather is getting cooler in Kyoto. Tourists are arriving by the boatload(in great numbers) and the leaves are starting to turn. I thought I would talk a bit about こうよう or もみじ season and fall vocabulary.

foliage: the leaves of trees or in Japanese, このは

The Eastern Townships are a great place to see the fall foliage.

rake: this is a tool like a giant fork used to gather fallen leaves which is the verb, to rake

Marc, go rake the leaves in the backyard!

autumn: the older word for fall or in Japanese, 秋

I am going to USJ this autumn to see the Halloween decorations.

to turn: we use this verb when things change color

That chameleon turned red!

I love seeing the leaves turn.

My maple tree's foliage has turned a beautiful orange.

Oh no! My hair is turning gray!

to see the leaves: this is when we go for a drive or a walk to see the autumn leaves

Are you going to see the leaves this fall?

harvest: to gather a crop or the time of year to gather a crop, in Japanese 穫る (とる)

Thanksgiving is a harvest festival.(Thanksgivingは収穫祭です)

I think it's time to harvest the corn.

I hope that helps you chat a bit about autumn!

Phil

No comments: