Friday, November 21, 2008

What's the magic word?

Today, we will have a quick culture lesson. In English, there are a few words related to magic: abracadabra, hocus pocus, presto, etc. All of these words are used by magicians when they are performing a magic trick. For example:

I will put a rabbit into my hat and...

...ABRACADABRA...

...the rabbit has disappeared!

You can substitute presto, hocus pocus, or any other word for ABRACADABRA.

But in English, there is only one answer for the question:

What's the magic word?

The answer is... Please.

This is a question used by parents to teach their children good manners and how to be polite.

For example:

boy: Mom give me a cookie!

Mom: What's the magic word?

boy: Huh? umm, abracadabra? Give me a cookie!

Mom: What's THE magic word?

boy: Oh! PLEASE give me a cookie Mom.

Mom: Ok, here you go.

boy: Thank you.

Well that's it for now, time for bed. I am off to Tokyo for a few days but will try and continue to post.

Have a nice weekend!

Phil

No comments: