Saturday, November 29, 2008

Finger Idioms...

So today, I will go over some idioms using the word finger in them. Here we go!

I'm all fingers and thumbs.

This means that you are not good with your hands, you lack manual dexterity.

Cross your fingers or Keep your fingers crossed

You say this when you hope or wish that something will happen or become true.

A: I hope we have a long vacation this year.

B: Keep your fingers crossed.

Give someone the finger

This is when you lift your middle finger to someone to tell them to F*#K off or F#*K you!

This morning this guy cut me off in traffic so I gave him the finger!

Have sticky fingers

This means that someone often steals things.

Chris has sticky fingers so he's going to jail.

Not lift a finger

This means you do nothing to help someone.

My friend fell down and hurt himself and no one lifted a finger to help him!

Point the finger at someone

This means that you blame someone for something bad that happened

Why are you pointing the finger at me? YOU ARE the one who decided to eat at this bad restaurant!!!

Wear/work your fingers down to the bone

This means you are working very hard for a long time.

I've been working my fingers down to the bone trying to finish this project on time.

Wrap around your little finger

This means that you someone will do anything you want.

Man your girlfriend has you wrapped around her little finger~!

Slip through your fingers

1- This means that something you are trying to do, doesn't work.

I failed my interview, that job just slipped through my fingers.

2- This is also used when you are chasing someone and they escape.

A: Did you catch the prisoners?

B: No, they managed to slip through my fingers...

A: What?!?!? Your in big trouble now!

Hmm, it is getting late. Time for bed, sweet dreams everyone!

Phil

No comments: