Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hectic vs. Busy

Today, I will be talking about the difference in English between the words hectic and busy. In Japanese both are translated as 忙しい (isogashii) but in English while both have similar meanings how we use these words is quite different.

Hectic and busy both mean that you don't have enough time and are rushing to do things. The difference is when and how we use the words.

Busy

This word is much more flexible, just like 忙しい, you can use it to talk about people or things.

Things have been really busy at work recently.

I am SOOOO busy these days. It sucks~!

That restaurant looks busy, check out that huge lineup!

Hectic

This word is more specific. We use it ONLY to talk about THINGS, it is NOT used to talk about people.

Things have been really hectic at work recently.

Basically, the same sentence.

That restaurant looks really hectic, check out all the people~!

This sentence has changed a bit hectic gives a feel of MOVEMENT and rushing/running around. A lineup does not move, so it sounds better if you say people or crowd. It gives you the image of a bunch of people pushing and trying to get into the restaurant.

I am SOOO hectic this days.------> INCORRECT

I am a person and so hectic cannot be used to talk about yourself or other people. We use hectic most often when talking about our life or job. We usually it to complain that we are too busy and things are a little crazy/chaotic.

We are understaffed at work so it has been really hectic.

Since I had a baby my life has been too hectic.

I guess you could say hectic is a bit stronger than busy but remember you CAN'T use it when talking about people!

Mikan-chan, I have already done several lessons about medical vocabulary and English. If I think of new words to talk about I will make a new post, for now you will just have to wait. Does anyone else have any questions or requests?

Hope to hear from you, have a nice week,

Phil

No comments: