Monday, April 20, 2009

Hobbies & free time

Hey everyone, today we will have a quick short lesson about hobbies. The thing is, most people in Canada and the US don't really have any hobbies. For us, it is something you really really love. You take special classes, do almost every day, etc. It is closer to the Japanese word ファン or オタク. So if my hobby is cooking, the I would be a cooking otaku~!

So don't be surprised if you ask the small talk question:

"What's your hobby?"

and the answer is:

"I don't have any hobbies."

This is why I recommend these questions:

"What do you do in your free time?"

or

"What do you like to do in your free time?"

and my favorite:

"What do you do for fun?"

When you ask about free time you might still get an answer like:

"I'm really busy, I don't have any free time"

But when talking about fun, ANY answer is ok and everyone should be able to say something~!

"I like to sleep"

"I like traveling"

"I like watching movies"

As you can see if someone asked:

"What's your hobby?"

and you said:

"I like to sleep."

It would VERY strange~! Like saying I am a sleeping otaku! So try and remember to ask:

"What do you do for fun?"

No comments: