Friday, April 17, 2009

Work... where???

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay but it has been a bit busy recently with a new kids classes starting this week. So far they seem like an ok bunch but wish me luck~!

Anyways, today we will talk a bit about three common questions in North America when you meet someone new. A very common small talk topic is someone's job so it is one of the first things we ask about.

1- What do you do?

This is often pronounced in Canada and the US as "WhaddoUdo?" or more casually "Whaddayado?".

The answer to this question is "I'm a _________". Fill in your job title, for example: teacher, banker, police officer, actor, model, office worker, etc.

A: Whaddayado?
B: I'm a secretary.

2- Where do you work?

Many Japanese people answer "I work in Kyoto" BUT this is INCORRECT. The answer western people expect is "I work at/for (company name)". This question is not about location but about your COMPANY. You could say "What company do you work for?" but this is a little formal so not that good for small talk.

A: Where do you work?
B: I work at Omron.

3- Where's your office?

Now we are talking about LOCATION ^_^ So the answer we are looking for is "I work in Kyoto". This question can be used for students "Where's your school?", doctors & nurses "Where's your hospital?", salespeople & store clerks "Where's your store?", etc.

A: Where's your office?
B: It's in Umeda.

Alright~! Let's put these three useful questions together and make a mini-conversation!

A: What do you do? (Whaddayado?)
B: I'm a nurse.
A: Where do you work?
B: I work at Kujo Hospital.
A: Where's your hospital?
B: It's in Kyoto.

And now you are ready to talk about your job ^_- good luck everyone,

Phil

No comments: