Thursday, June 4, 2009

Stop being such a poor sport~!

Hey guys, today I am gonna talk a bit more about being a sore loser and give you some other useful idioms and expressions. A more polite way of saying someone is a sore loser is by calling them a poor sport. It is kind of old fashioned but that is why it is polite. ^_- I hope you remember the opposite is a good sport. These are noun phrases so don't forget to add A~!

Negishi is such a sore loser!

Did you see him scream after he lost the game? What a poor sport...

Bob is a good sport he always acts graciously if he loses.

Some people who hate losing CHEAT. This means that they break the rules to win or get what they want. Students who copy answers from their friend's tests are CHEATING.

If you win and someone says "That's not fair! You cheated!" you might hear the answer "No, I didn't I beat you fair and square!". This means that you followed the rules and won because of your skill, you are a better player.

A: Woohoo~! I won!

B: Wow, you're really good at bowling, you beat me fair and square.

A: Thanks for being such a good sport. Maybe we can play again sometime.

B: Sure, I'll practice and next time I'll give you a run for your money!

One new idiom in that conversation ^_^ To give someone a run for their money, means the game or contest will be close. For example, the score will be 5 to 4 and you didn't win by much-I almost won or I beat you by a little.

Ok that's all for this week, have a nice weekend~!

Phil

P.S. I just remembered a more casual way to say a poor sport is by saying a bad sport.

a sore loser -----> a bad sport -----> a poor sport
casual ----------------------------------------------------------------->polite

No comments: