Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Does that strike you as a good idea?

I recently taught an idioms lesson to one of my more advanced students and I really enjoyed one idiom so I decided to talk about it on my blog ^_^

to strike (someone) as (something)

So this is used when you want to say something seems to be something. It is used to talk about your opinion about something.

Does anything strike your fancy?

This is an old expression meaning do you see anything you like? You might have a shop clerk ask you this question.

Sally: Does Elaine strike you as a bit stressed out today?
Ruby: Yeah, she has a big project due tomorrow.

Your friend is asking for your opinion about someone else. So Sally is asking Ruby if she thinks Elaine looks stressed out today.

He strikes me as a bad guy.

So I think that he is a bad guy. Be careful, the structure:

He/She/person's name strikes me as ----------.

is used to talk about acquaintances and people you DON'T know well. It would be VERY strange to use it to talk about family members or your close friends. You can use it for people you are close to by adding the word "today" at the end of the sentence.

Jill strikes me as really tired today.

OK, if you have any questions just ask!

Phil

4 comments:

Carla said...

Hi, could you help me with the translation of a sentence, please? I understand it but i have to translate it the best i can.

it says:

"although it might have been hard to put a lot of confidence in something that was used to spice up McDonald's french fries, Eddie didn't strike him as a fool. Not by a long shot."

What´s the exact meaning of "Eddie didn´t strike him as a fool"?

Thank´s a lot for your help

Carla said...

Should it be something like... "he didn´t treat him like a fool?"

Thanks

Carla

Carla said...

Why do you offer help if you´re not interested in giving it?

Thanks anyway, i already solved my problem.

Phil said...

Oh I'm really sorry Carla... I hardly ever get comments here and so rarely check them(actually I didn't really know how) and always check my comment box on the sidebar on the left hand side...

Really sorry about that, if you have any questions or comments please ask there and I'll do my best to get back to you quickly.

Phil