Sunday, September 6, 2009

I'm just pulling your leg~!

Hey everyone, I had a lovely course last Friday night where I learned some Japanese idioms like "Te ga denai" which literally means I can't put out my hand but has the meaning "I wanna buy it but I can't afford it"...

I also liked the idiom "sune wo kanjiru" which means "mooch off of" or "sponge off of" the image here is someone is bitting my ankle and it is used when kids are bleeding their parents dry, always asking for money.

"Mimi ga itai" literally means my ears hurt but has the meaning "Stop nagging me!" or "Get off my back~!".

But the idiom I found really interesting was "ashi wo hipparu" which literally means "pulling my leg" but the idiomatic meaning is " holding me back". This is when someone is dragging you down and preventing you from succeeding.

Now the reason I found this idiom so interesting is that in English we also have the idiom "to pull (someone's) leg" but the meaning is COMPLETELY different! It means I was just joking, don't believe what I said.

A: My wife is having triplets!
B: What?!?! Three babies! Congratulations, but won't it be tough?
A: Hahaha, I'm just pulling your leg! She's pregnant but with just one baby.
B: Ah ok. Is it a boy or a girl?
A: We don't know yet...

That is it for now, have a good one people,

Phil

No comments: