Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I dunno...

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I talked about this before or not so I decided to post a small lesson about it today. In casual English, the sentence I don't know is often said as:

I dunno.

This is really common in Canada and the U.S. and we use it all the time, especially young people. For example, this is a conversation I might have had in high school:

A: I'm bored...

Phil: Yeah, me too.

A: Whaddaya wanna do?

Phil: I dunno, whadda YOU wanna do?

A: I dunno...

Phil: Umm, let's call Marc maybe he has an idea~!

So in this conversation you see "What do you" becoming "Whaddaya" but the second time I said "Whadda YOU" with the stress on YOU because I was redirecting the question back to my friend. And of course, want to became wanna...

Now, when I was a kid in Canada there was a show called You Can't Do that on Television and on that show everytime a character said "I don't know" or "I dunno" they would get slimed~! Here's a clip from Youtube:




Ok that's it for now, have a good week~!

Phil

No comments: