Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rainy day vocabulary...

Hey everyone, today in Kyoto it is a rainy day so I thought for my last lesson this month I would go over different ways of describing rain. If you are interested in studying the weather a bit more please see this old post ^-^

Ok so here are some examples, from weakest to strongest, on how to describe rain:

It's drizzly./ There's a drizzle.

It's raining lightly/There's a light rain.

It's raining.

It's raining heavily/There's a heavy rain.

It's pouring down/There's a downpour. (not so common in the US/Canada)

It's raining cats and dogs. (idiom for very heavy rain)

It's raining torrentially/There's a torrential rain.(not commonly used)

There's a torrential downpour.

All of these just refer to rain, a torrential downpour is a crazy heavy rain with some heavy wind but no thunder or lighting. When there's thunder or lighting you will say there's a storm/it's stormy or even more specifically there's a thunderstorm. There's a drizzle is when it is raining extremely lightly.

Also, you might hear the term "scattered showers" in a weather forecast. This means that it will rain off and on throughout the day in small bursts.

Hmm, I think that is enough for now. I hope the weather is nicer where you are~! Drizzly gray days sap my energy~! (meaning they take away my energy)

Phil

No comments: