Sunday, January 17, 2010

I used to like...

Hey everyone, in the last lesson I mentioned that a has-been is someone who used to be famous or successful. So today, I decided to talk abit about used to.

Ok, so used to means that BEFORE you did or were something in a regular way but that NOW you DON'T. Also we pronounce it use-to, the d is silent.

I used to like G.I. Joe (but now I don't).

I used to play tennis (but I don't anymore).

I used to like her (but now I don't).

So when we use the expression used to we are stressing that we NO LONGER do that or feel that way. It has CHANGED.

If you used to like something alot but now just think it's ok you shouldn't use used to. Just say:

I liked G.I. Joe when I was a kid(and maybe I still like them).

I liked her last year (but now maybe my feelings aren't so strong).

I played tennis in high school (but now I don't play so often).

When you are using the simple past we usually include WHEN we did it. With used to, you don't have to say when--the important thing is now you don't.

Hmm, I think that's it for today. I hope you guys had a nice weekend,

Phil

No comments: