Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Opposites...

Looking at last month's list of posts I noticed that I forgot to write a blog in my opposites series, so I decided to write one today before January is over~! We are now in the middle of the cold and flu season so the opposites I will introduce today have to do with illnesses and health.

a runny nose水洟 (みずばな) < ----- > a stuffy nose鼻が詰まる (はながつまる)

This is really simple to use, when you're nose is running you can say "I have a runny nose" and when your nose is blocked you say "I have a stuffy nose". Often when your nose is runny you have to blow your nose. In Japan, many people think it is rude to blow your nose in public so they sniffle(ぐすん) a lot--western people find people sniffling non-stop REALLY annoying! We think you should just blow your nose~! ^_-

constipated (adj) 便秘 (べんぴ)< ---- > diarrhea (n)下痢が移った (げりがうつった)

Be careful we say "I'm constipated" BUT "I have diarrhea" because constipated is an adjective and diarrhea is a noun.

clean きれい< -------- > dirty きたない

To stay healthy you should try to keep your hands clean. It is important to clean your dirty clothes and handkerchiefs to get rid of any bacteria or viruses that might be on them.

hygienic 衛生的 (えいせいてき)< --- > unhygienic不衛生 (ふえいせい)

Eating food you dropped on the floor is unhygienic (un-hi-je-nic).

Washing your hands often is very hygienic (hi-je-nic).

Hmm, ok that is all for today, stay healthy~!

Phil

No comments: