Sunday, February 14, 2010

Grow vs. grow up

Hey everyone, in the last few weeks I had several students incorrectly use the terms grow and grow up so I decided I would explain it here on my blog!

grow = 植える (うえる) it is used when talking about PLANTS

Money doesn't grow on trees~!

Palm trees grow in warm countries.

My tomatoes are growing well.

grow up = 育つ (そだつ) to become an adult, it is usually used to talk about PEOPLE, but sometimes animals. A more formal word with the same meaning is raised.

僕は田舎で育った。= I grew up in the country.

My cat grew up on the street, he used to be a stray.

I grew up in Montreal. Where did you grow up?

If you don't eat your veggies you won't grow up to be big and strong!

Well I hope that helps clear up the difference between the two, have a

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Phil

No comments: