Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Talking about purpose...

Hey everyone, today I am going to talk about purpose. In English, why is a really important word. We always what to know WHY something happens, so much that people will often say WHY even if they don't ask the question...

For example:

I'm sorry I'm late but I overslept.

I can't go to the party because I have a date.

In Japanese, it's OK to just say "I can't go because I'm busy" or "I have plans". But in English, someone would ask "Why? What are you doing?".

Now, when you talk about why you went somewhere there are two different ways to talk about purposes...

1- I went to __________ (verb).

2- I went for the __________ (noun).

For example:

A: Why did you go to Spain?

B: I went to party!

A: Why did you go to Seoul?

B: I went for the food.

A: Why did you go to Singapore?

B: I went for the shopping(noun). / I went to shop(verb).

I hope that helps you all when talking about your travels~!

Phil

No comments: