Tuesday, February 2, 2010

You like hamburg? Huh??? The city?

Hey everyone, to start off the short month of February I decided to post a short lesson~! Also, I think I will aim for maybe 6 lessons this month instead of my more usual 8.

Anyways, I often hear Japanese people say "I like hamburg" or "I like hamburger" but both of these sentences can easily confuse native English speakers.

I like hamburg. = I like the city of Hamburg in Germany???

There is no English word hamburg, what you mean to say is:

I like hamburger steaks.

or

I like hamburg steaks. (I have never heard this but saw it online)

The second sentence "I like hamburger" sounds odd, it isn't really grammatically correct. Hamburger without an S is uncountable and so I would think of hamburger MEAT. Meat is always uncountable.

I like chickenS (animal).

I like chicken (uncountable and so meat).

In this case, what you mean to say is:

I like hamburgers.

This morning I was studying Japanese and was learning ハンバーガー which inspired me to write about it~!

I hope you enjoyed my lesson, see you,

Phil

No comments: