Thursday, February 18, 2010

Yeah, yeah hold your horses buddy~!

So this morning I was killing time on youtube watching this video:




And in the video the guy says "Hold your horses" which is a great idiom everyone should know in our world today where everyone rushes.

Hold your horses = means Don't rush me~! or Stop telling me to hurry up!

This comes from when everyone rode horses and to "hold your horses" meant to hold the horses pulling your carriage back from running off.

These days you will often here it among friends, in casual situations or from not so professional staff at shops:

Customer: Hey, anyone here? (ring ring ringing the bell)

Staff: Hold your horses! I'll be with you in a minute~!

Or you might hear customers use it:

Staff: Can I take your order?

Customer: Hmm, I'd like... um...

Staff: Yes sir? We have other customers waiting.

Customer: Jeez, hold your horses~! I'll have a burger.

Then again families often use it amongst themselves:

Mom: Come on~! Your Dad's waiting in the car!

Daughter: Hold your horses Mom, I'll be out in a minute!!

Mom: Ok, we're waiting in the car, hurry up!

Well I hope you enjoyed this lesson, have a good weekend and don't rush too much!

Phil

No comments: