Thursday, June 17, 2010

A blast from the past~!

Recently, in my classes I have been explaining these three terms:
  1. a rip-off
  2. worth it
  3. a good deal

Do you know what they mean? I actually talked about this last year on May 16, 2009 so I decided to repost that blog as well as add a bit at the end. Enjoy~!

--------------------May 16, 2009-------------------------------------

Today, I am going to talk about VALUE. We'll look at: a rip-off(used as a verb or noun), worth it(noun only), and a good deal.

When I go shopping I want to pay a reasonable price for something of ok quality. If that happens then it is worth it
. But if I pay a lot of money for something and it is bad quality then it is a rip-off-I feel like they have tricked me and stolen my money. I didn't get what I paid for...

If I feel like I paid a good price for something and got great value then, I got a good deal. Here are some example dialogues:

A: So, how was the concert yesterday? Was it worth it
?
B: Yeah, it was totally worth it
~! It was amazing! Italic

So maybe, the concert was kind of expensive so B decided not to go but A went. Now, B wants to check if the high price was matched with a high value performance.

A: Wow, nice jacket~!

B: Thanks, I got a good deal on it. It was on sale. ^_^


B paid a good price for a great jacket, high value for a low cost.

A: Hey, buddy watch where you're going!

B: You got a problem, jerk?!?!

C: Dude, it's not worth it
let it go.
B: Yeah, you're right let's get out of here.


In this situation, A & C are walking together down the street and B bumps into A. B is angry and maybe wants to fight A but C tells him "It's not worth it
" meaning the fight will cause a big problem and won't give him anything of value...

A: How was the movie festival?

B: What a rip-off
! Tickets were 5000 yen and it was super crowded and noisy!
A: Really? Man that sucks.

B: Yeah, you shouldn't go- it's not worth it
at all.

So he paid a lot of money but only got something of very low value so it's a rip-off
.

A: What's wrong?

B: That guy ripped me off
~! He sold me a ticket to yesterday's concert!

B paid a lot of money for a concert that is already finished, he was ripped off
.

Alright, I hope that helps everyone talk about restaurants, tourist attractions, movies, shows etc. If you want to know if something is good even though it is expensive just ask:

Is it worth it?

------------------June 18th, 2010-------------------------------

So, do you understand these three expressions now? This year I cam up with a really simple way to quickly grasp the differences and meanings of these words:

a good deal: value > price

worth it: value = price

a rip-off: value < price

Well I hope this helps you use these useful expressions, have a good weekend,

Phil

No comments: