Sunday, June 13, 2010

What's the catch?

This is the last in what has turned into a 3 part series about proverbs & sayings talking about money. When someone offers you something that sounds too good to be true most western people become skeptical(start to become suspicious and not believe it) and then ask:

What's the catch?

The catch is the hidden negative point. People are wondering why is this deal so good? There must be something wrong~!

Which is why people might then ask something like:

What's in it for you?

So if someone is offering you something great maybe they will get some kind of benefit. In Cuba, some people will offer to show you a nice guesthouse... BUT they get a kickback~! The owner of the guesthouse then has to pay the guy who brought you there a fee for each night you stay--so your hotel will cost you more money~!!!

Here's an example dialogue:

A: Hey do you want my tickets to tomorrow's concert?

B: What's the catch??? I thought you loved that band!

A: No catch. I can give you them at cost.

B: Huh? Seriously, what's in it for you?

A: Well, actually I got some better seats so if you take these tickets off my hands you'll be doing me a HUGE favor.

B: Ah ok then, wanna meet up for drinks after the show?

A: Sounds good~! I'll text you.

I hope that helps, enjoy this rainy Sunday!

Phil

No comments: