Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I've been meaning to...

Have you ever heard this before? This comes from the verb:

to mean to do

which means to intend to do. So it means to PLAN ON doing something. Because of this it is most often used in the PAST TENSE when you planned to do something but then didn't.

Teacher, I meant to do my homework but I forgot.

meaning

I planned on doing my homework, I intended to do it but I forgot.

Now when we use it with the present perfect progressive you get a structure you can use to talk about something you are planning to do but haven't had the time to do yet. Maybe you've been too busy, you forgot, or you have to do it but don't want to do it---basically, it is on your to do list BUT it's not crossed off(done) yet.

A: Ouch~!

B: Oops, sorry. I've been meaning to fix that.

A: You should!!! It's freaking dangerous, I almost broke my neck!!

B: Ok, ok I get it. I'll fix it tomorrow.

In this example, B is PROCRASTINATING. That means he is putting off doing something. Someone who always says they will do it later is a procrastinator~! In Japanese it would be 延び延び (のびのび) or 先延ばしにする (さきのばしにする).

So this structure "I've been meaning to ___________" is really useful.

I've been meaning to post on my blog more often but I don't have enough time.

Have a good week,

Phil

No comments: