Wednesday, June 23, 2010

He's a one-hit wonder~!

Ok, I am going to go to a beach soon so here's a quick vocabulary lesson. Last month, I was teaching a lesson and the term:

one-hit wonder

came up, have you heard of it? In Japanese, you would say 一発屋 (いっぱつや). We usually use it to talk about music but you could also use it to talk about any other kind of artist who has had only ONE big success or who you think will be a flash in the pan---something that looks promising or successful but then disappears.

I think Los del Rio were one-hit wonders, can you name me one of their songs?? Other than the Macarena~!

Man, that song "I'm too sexy" is a one-hit wonder! I don't even remember who sang it...

Joseph Heller was a one-hit wonder, his only hit novel was Catch-22.

Well, that's it for now. Time to get ready for the beach!

Phil

No comments: