Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I bumped into my friend the other day ^_^

Hi everyone here's a quick mid-week lesson for you all. In English, we often use these two phrasal verbs:

to run into (someone)

to bump into (someone)

To bump into in Japanese is 打つかる (ぶつかる). They have a literal meaning, where you ACTUALLY bump/run into someone:

A: Ouch, watch where you're going!

B: Sorry, I didn't mean to run into you like that.

-------------------------------

C: HEY!! What the hell?!?!?

D: Sorry for bumping into you, let me help you pick up your things.

They also have an idiomatic meaning, where you meet someone by chance. In Japanese, you would say 出会う (であう).

I bumped into an old friend from high school at Book Off yesterday. It was a nice surprise.

-----------------------------------

A: Ah hey, fancy meeting you here! I didn't know you liked old movies.

B: Yeah, I love black and white films but I never thought I'd run into you here.

A: Oh? Why not? You know I've seen Casablanca, like, 10 times.

That's all for now, see you soon,

Phil

No comments: