Saturday, March 5, 2011

My house's nearby.

Hello everyone, do you know the difference between near and nearby?

Near is a preposition. It means close to something. So, it will usually be used with the structure:

near + place

My house is near here.

Bob lives near Don Quixote.

Nishi-Honganji is near Kyoto station.

Tully's is near the post office.

Nearby is an adverb NOT a preposition. So you use it with a verb, most often the verb "to be". It means close to here (where we are now).

X is nearby

My house is nearby.

There's a nice cafe nearby wanna grab a bite to eat?

It's nearby. You can walk there in 5 minutes.

But it can be used with other verbs.

My aunt lives nearby.

My kids are playing nearby let's go check on them.

I heard gunfire nearby, let's get out of here!

Have a good weekend!

Phil



No comments: