Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Learning English is tough.

Hey everyone, today we'll talk about the word:

Tough

It is pronounced tuff and is a pretty useful word with a bunch of different meanings.

1- difficult -


My math test was tough.


Lately my job's been kind of tough.


I had a tough day at the office.


In spoken English difficult is a higher level and more formal word so it isn't used so much, especially in casual English or by young people.


2 - strong or durable physically +


My new bag's really tough.


Those soldiers look tough.


3 - hard, as in hard to chew -


This steak is tough. I can't even cut it!


Ouch! These cookies are too tough!


So you can see that tough has both positive and negative meanings. I hope this lesson wasn't too tough for all of you, ^_-



Have a good week,


Phil

No comments: