Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What are you implying?

You will hear this often in crime dramas. Today, I will teach you about the verb:

to IMPLY

It means to STRONGLY hint at something. You don't say something directly, instead you drop many hints.

The teacher is implying I'm cheating! He doesn't believe I studied and passed the test on my own. What a jerk!

-------------------

A: Yesterday, you came over to play video games. When I got up this morning ,my new Monster Hunter 3 was missing...

B:What are you implying? Do you think I stole it???

A: Well, the game's gone...

B: You probably misplaced it or your brother took it. I can't believe you'd accuse me of stealing!!!

A: Hey calm down, I'm not accusing you of anything... yet. Let's look for the game and I'll text my brother to see if he took it.

As you can see, it's usually used in a negative way. Often when someone accuses you of something.

Have a good week, I hope to post 6-8 times this month.

Phil

No comments: