Monday, April 18, 2011

In? On? At? Which should I use???

Hope you had a good weekend, today we will quickly review when to use the prepositions in, on and at.

in + area/long periods of time


I live in Japan.(area)


I work in northern Kyoto.(area)


The milk is in the fridge.(area)


I went to Turkey in August. (period of time)


I like to go swimming in the summer. (period of time)


It is really simple you use in with areas and long periods of time.


on + days/streets/floors


I go to the gym on Wednesdays. (days)


I will meet you on Friday night. (days)


I went to my parent's house on Christmas. (days)


Fuji Daimaru is on Shijo Street. (streets)


Oh, the post office is on First Avenue. (streets)


My office is on the fourth floor. (floors)


So you need to use on with days(including Christmas, New Year's, Halloween, etc.) , street names and floors of buildings.


at + specific place/specific times


I will meet you at 5pm on Friday. (specific time)




At Halloween I like to decorate my house in a scary way. (specific time of year)


A: Where's the meeting?
B: It's at Isetan on the 4th floor.
(specific place)
A: When is it?
B: It's at 3pm. (specific time)



The party's at Tom's house at 9pm. (specific time & place)


So at is used with specific things!
BUT be careful by switching prepositions you can change the meaning of the phrase:

I visit my parents at Christmas.
(time - maybe NOT on Christmas Day, anytime around Christmas)


I visit my parents on Christmas. (DAY, NOT before or after-on December 25th)


Any questions?


Phil

No comments: