Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sticker Shock~!

Hey everyone do you know what

Sticker shock

means? It means that after you look at the price tag(the sticker-in Japanese you say seal) you get a shock because the price is super high~!

Customer: Wow, that's a beautiful coat.

Store clerk: Yes we have it in brown and black.

Customer (looks at the price): ...

Store clerk: Is everything ok? You're very quiet all of a sudden.

Customer: I'm fine, just a bit of sticker shock. Unfortunately, it's out of my price range.

Store Clerk: Ah, ok. We have something similar but much cheaper one over here...

Do you understand the usage of sticker shock?

In the conversation, you also saw the expression "it's out of my price range" which means it is TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME.

Price range is the price you are willing or able to pay. For example, from 300 to 1500 yen is my price range when I go shopping for t-shirts.

Man: I wanna go to Hawaii with my wife.

Travel Agent: What's your price range for the trip?

Man: Not too expensive maybe 1000$ each for 4 days...

Have a good week,

Phil

No comments: