Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Color Idioms Part 1

Hey everyone, I've had a list of color idioms I've wanted to talk about for awhile now and I've decided to get started~! This will be a 2 or 3 part series I think. Today we will talk about the color:

GREEN

to be green as grass

This means something is very green.

His new car's green as grass.

to be green

This means to be a rookie, to be new at something and lack experience.

Andy: What's wrong with him?

Bill: Oh, he's really green. This is his first job.

It can also mean to be nauseous, sometimes with the verb to look green.

Ed: Tom looks green is he ok?

Sally: Yeah, he'll be fine. He just got off a roller-coaster.

to be green with envy

This means to be very jealous.


I'm green with envy! Jill got a new Chanel bag!

to have a green thumb

This is a really common idiom I think most students of English should know. It means you are good with plants and good at growing things.

Alex has a real green thumb. He grows all his own vegetables.

Have a nice day,

Phil

No comments: