Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Color Idioms Part 2

Hey everyone, I remembered a few more idioms using green:

to be green

Recently, it also means to be environmentally friendly. In Japanese, you would say ECO.

A: What are you doing with those old newspapers?

B: I'm gonna recycle them. I'm trying to be green these days.

green

It can be used to refer to money, in the US all dollar bills are green so they are sometimes called greenbacks.

I'm gonna make me some green.

Show me the green~!

But this is only used in the US and is quite casual slang.

Today we will look at the color:

PINK

There are two pink idioms that are quite common:

To be tickled pink

This means to be really pleased or happy with something.

C: Wow, you look tickled pink~!

D: Yeah, I'm super happy - John proposed!!!

C: Congratulations!

To be in the pink

This means that something or someone is super healthy. I think it refers to a healthy newborn baby being pink.

After having a cold for a week, it's good to be in the pink again!

Another expression you might hear is: to get a pink slip.

This means you have been fired. When people were fired they used to get their last paycheck or a note on pink paper announcing that they lost their job.

Ed: What's wrong?

Frank: I got a pink slip today!

Any questions?

Phil

No comments: