Saturday, May 18, 2013

disposable <-----> reusable

I haven't done an opposites lesson in a long time so I thought I'd make a mini opposites lesson. During a class today, we were talking about pollution and many students mentioned the word disposable. This means something can be thrown away after you use it. 

Paper napkins are disposable.

I don't like disposable chopsticks, I've heard they contribute to deforestation in Indonesia.

You can often hear this word used to talk about people in crime dramas or mafia movies. In that case it can mean that you can kill them or abandon them...

That guys disposable after the jobs done, get rid of him.

Women like her are disposable, they're a dime a dozen in this town.

A dime a dozen is an idiom which means something is abundant, cheap and common.

The opposite of disposable is reusable. This is made of the prefix RE meaning again, the word USE and the suffix ABLE meaning can be done. So the meaning is something that can be used again.

I always bring reusable chopsticks with me. I think you call them "my hashi" in Japanese.

To help the environment, you should use a reusable shopping bag but be sure to wash it often.

I don't like disposable things, I prefer to invest in quality products that are reusable.

Have a great weekend,

Phil

No comments: