Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I see you in a new light.

Hey everyone, for today's lesson we are looking at an idiom which is used when someone does something surprising and it changes your opinion of them. When that happens we say:


I see you in a new light.


For example:

Jill: Hey Tom, what are you eating?

Tom: Oh this? It's a homemade lasagna.

Jill: Wow, it looks good! Did your wife make it for you?

Tom: Huh? No, I made it myself. I like cooking.

Jill: I didn't know you could cook! I see you in a whole new light now.

In Japanese, you'd say 見直した which literally means to look again. This expression does have a bit of a connotation that because you see someone differently you now have a better opinion of them. When you add WHOLE to the expression, you make it STRONGER.

When was the last time you saw someone in a new light?

最後の見直した時はいつでしたか?

Have a nice week,

Phil

No comments: