Monday, May 6, 2013

Stop talking behind my back!

Hey everyone, I hope you all had a nice Golden Week~! I just got back to Kyoto which is why I haven't posted in awhile. Do you understand today's lesson title?

It is a pretty common idiom used to talk about gossip ( ゴシップ) and rumors ( - うわさ ). In Japanese to talk behind one's back would probably be: 後ろ指を指される. This expression means someone is saying bad things about you secretly. When you see them they never say anything bad or tell you their true feelings BUT when they meet other people they will tell them all kinds of bad things about you which could be true or lies.

The opposite expression is: (to tell/say something) to someone's face. In Japanese you'd say, 向き付けに. This is usually used to confront someone who has been saying things about you secretly...

Kim: Betty you've been talking about me behind my back!

Betty: What?

Kim: You told Sarah that I was getting fat and not pretty enough to date Paul!!!

Betty: um...

Kim: If you thought that, you should have just told me to my face!

Any questions? Have a nice week!

Phil  

  

No comments: