Sunday, May 26, 2013

What's the occasion?

Hey everyone, do you guys know the subtext of this question? It is used when someone suddenly changes their look or behavior to be nicer or better than usual.

Ted: Hey Betty, you look sharp! What's the occasion? Got a hot date?

Betty: Oh, hey Ted. Yeah, I got a date with Rob tonight!

It is also often used with the word special:

Andy comes home to find the place spotlessly clean...

Andy: Helen, what's the special occasion? Why's the house so clean?

Helen: Andy, I told you! My parents are coming to visit this weekend!

You can also use this expression to ask why someone is throwing a party.

Gary: I'm having a little get together tonight, do you wanna come?

Jim: What's the occasion?

Gary: My wife's out of town so I'm having a guys poker night.

Jim: Sounds fun, count me in!

Have a nice week,

Phil

No comments: