Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Do you like English?

Yeah, I love it!

Today we will talk about liking something. In English you have several pretty standard answers to the question:

Do you like ___________?

++Yeah, I love it!

+Yeah, I do. or
+Yeah, I like it.

+/-Well, I don't mind it. or
+/-Well, it's ok.

- weak No, not really.

-No, I don't. or
-No, I don't like it.

--No, I hate it!

I love it is the most positive and I hate it is the most negative. When we use well with it's ok or I don't mind it is a very weak agreement... Be very careful when using the word hate in English it is REALLY STRONG! It is like the Japanese, daikirai (大嫌い, だいきらい). The word hate is rarely used in English so when you do use it, it adds extra-power to your statement~!

Here are some examples:

Do you like curry?
Well, it's ok.

Do you like horror movies?
Yeah, I do. My favorite horror movies are zombie movies!

Did you like dinner?
Yeah, it was really good.

Do you like natto?
No, I don't.

What do you think of pretentious people?
I hate them~! They're such jerks!

Have a nice day,

Phil

No comments: