Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wanna grab a bite to eat? -- Part 1

Hi everyone, today's lesson will be about the word bite. Now the verb to bite means kamu 噛む (かむ) in Japanese, for example:

Ow~! Your dog bit me!

Now the noun a bite can have several meanings, it can mean the mark left by an animal or insect biting you.

My arm is itchy because I have a mosquito bite.

It can also mean a bite of food, in Japanese you would say hitokuchi 一口, (ひとくち).

Gimme a bite!

which in Japanese would be,

hitokuchi choudai!

In casual English, a bite can also mean a light meal or snack.

Do you wanna have a bite to eat?

meaning,

Do you want to eat a light meal or snack?

I'm hungry I'm gonna go grab a bite.

meaning,

I'm hungry I'm going to go eat something.

Hmmm, there are some other interesting expressions that use bite but I think I'll do another lesson to cover those so stay tuned for Part 2!

Phil

No comments: