Thursday, March 11, 2010

Man this bites~! -- Part 2

For the second lesson about the word bite, we're gonna talk about the slang expression to bite. This means that something sucks, it was popular in the 1990s but I am not sure if it's used very often these days.

A: Man, I have no money to go to the party.

B: Dude, that bites~!

The food in my school cafeteria bites!

meaning,

The food in my school cafeteria sucks~!

There are also plenty of idioms using the word bite. We will talk about some of them:

bite the dust

This is a really casual way to say someone or something died or ended.

Did you hear? Nova bit the dust.

bite the bullet

This means that you will accept or do something unpleasant. Basically, it means to endure something...

I'm not a big fan of my new schedule, oh well I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and do my best.

bite (someone's) head off

This means that you yell at someone angrily, it's usually used when someone suddenly answers a question by screaming a reply.

A: How's the project going?

B: LEAVE ME ALONE!!! IT'LL BE FINISHED ON TIME!!!

A: Um ok, don't bite my head off I was just asking.

B: Sorry, I'm just really stressed out recently.

bite off more than you can chew

This means that you took on a project or task that is more than you can do on your own. You are trying to do something that is too difficult for you.

Looks like I bit off more than I can chew, I have no idea how I'll finish the project on time!

Well I think that is enough about bite, I hope you enjoyed these lessons and expect more lessons soon!

Phil

No comments: