Friday, April 16, 2010

Catnap...

Oh, After I wrote my last post I remembered another word we use when talking about sleep:

a catnap

It means a short nap, a light sleep or doze. The key information here is that it is SHORT but may happen MANY TIMES. So you are just like a cat, they take a nap, get up walk around a bit and then sleep some more. ^_- We usually use it with the verb take, to take a catnap.

I just took a catnap, I needed to rest.

Another word you might hear is shuteye. Which is usually used with the verb get and some, to get some shuteye. According to thefreedictionary.com it is British slang for sleep but you will often hear it in American TV shows or movies so I think it is pretty commonly used.

You look tired, why don't you go get some shuteye?

Come to think of it, I usually hear to get some shuteye being used as a suggestion or question~!

Did you get any shuteye?

I think I see this expression alot in novels I read that are set in the military(navy, army, etc).

Well I hope you enjoyed this little lesson, have a nice day~!

Phil

No comments: