Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sorry, I dozed off...

So the other day, one of my students looked up the Japanese word:

仮眠 (かみん)

Do you know how to say this word in English? When used with する it means to nap or doze. Actually, to nap in Japanese is usually translated as昼寝 (ひるね) +する.

So what does to doze mean in English? It means to sleep lightly or a light sleep. Basically, you are not sleeping in a very deep way...

I was dozing on the train when I got to my stop.

Recently, to doze is not used so often instead we use the phrasal verb:

to doze off

Which means that you were really tired and you fell asleep even though you WEREN'T planning to go to sleep!

You fell asleep by accident = You dozed off

I was watching TV last night and dozed off.

I dozed off on the train and woke up in Osaka!

That's all for today, I hope to write a longer lesson next time. Have a good week!

Phil


No comments: