Tuesday, April 6, 2010

You need anything? No, I'm good.

Hey everyone! Yesterday, I was talking to my coworkers and I said:

I'm good.

They thought I meant:

私は行ける。

or

私はいい。

BUT what I meant was:

大丈夫です。

The expression "I'm good" is pretty recent English, it is a casual yet nice and friendly way to TURN DOWN AN OFFER. It means that I don't need anything. I'm OK. For example:

A: Would you like some coffee?

B: No, I'm good.
(meaning I have some coffee already or I don't need any)

A: Need any help?

B: I'm good.

Which in full proper English would be:

A: Do you need any help?

B: No, I don't.

As you can see, using "I'm good" in casual English is much faster and friendlier.

So hopefully now you can all answer this question:

Do you need me to explain a bit more?

with

No, I'm good.

That's it for now, have a good week!

Phil

No comments: