Thursday, April 29, 2010

Eh, it's a fad...

Hey everyone, just a really quick lesson today as I wanna rush out and enjoy the sunshine during my Golden Week holidays~! Also, due to the holidays, I think I will be just posting about 6 times in May. I'm gonna give myself a small break ^_^ I hope you all enjoy the nice spring weather and your days off!

Ok, so today's lesson is about the word fad. Have you heard this word before? Any idea what it means?

It means that something is very popular for a short time. It is often used to talk about fashion, toys or even behaviors. We use it when something is suddenly super-popular and it seems like EVERYONE is doing it! When you say that something is a fad though you are ALSO saying that you think it's popularity will not last...

Did you see the latest fad out of Japan? My kids are crazy about tamagochis!

Ok, that's an old example but hey I don't really follow fads. I try to do my own thing! hahaha

Check out this link for a history of toy fads, including the slinky, hula hoop, Frisbee, super ball, etc.: http://www.drfad.com/fad_facts/timeline.htm

There are also fad diets like the Atkins diet, the banana diet, etc. These diets are in all the magazines one month and then disappear...

時好 (じこう) is I think the best way to say fad in Japanese... but I may be wrong! hahaha

Have a great Golden Week!

Phil

No comments: