Sunday, July 11, 2010

Do you guys get along?

Hey everyone, just a quick lesson on this rainy Sunday before I go make dinner ^_-

Do you usually get along with your classmates?

Get along is a phrasal verb that simply means two(or more) people have a good relationship with each other. They don't fight or dislike each other.

When we were kids my brother and I didn't get along... we fought like cats and dogs~!

Ugh, I don't get along with that guy. He's a total jerk.

Since we shared an apartment, we don't get along anymore. I can't stand him, he's an idiot and a slob.

My girlfriend and I get along great! We hardly ever argue or fight ^_^

Here's a bonus phrasal verb:

get by

This means:

-to survive

I'm just getting by since I lost my job.
The money I have is just enough for me to live and survive.

She gets by on her looks.
She survives/lives based on her appearance.

-to pass someone/something

Excuse me, could you move so I can get by?
Excuse me, can you move so I can pass you?

or

A few mistakes got by my editor into the book.
A couple of mistakes got passed my editor into the book.

-to achieve the minimum necessary

In high school, he just got by.
He had passing grades only.

OK that is all for now!

Phil

No comments: