Sunday, July 25, 2010

Window shopping

This Sunday I decided to post a quick vocabulary lesson about the expression:

window shopping

Have you heard this before? A long time ago, shops closed at 5-6pm so you couldn't go shopping in the evenings BUT most shops had huge display windows where they would make interesting displays and feature some products.

This meant couples on dates or people who were bored (before the internet, TV, even radio) would have fun by walking through town looking at the display windows... which is how we got the term window shopping!

Nowadays, the meaning has changed. We use the term window shopping when we talk about going to stores and JUST LOOKING at stuff-we aren't planning on buying anything.

After class, I'm gonna go window shopping.

Window shopping is fun and free~!
A: What did you do yesterday?
B: I went window shopping in Ginza.


Watch out! We don't usually use window shopping when we are doing it~!

Staff: Can I help you?

Customer: No, I'm just window shopping. X

This sounds really strange what you should say is this:

Staff: Can I help you?

Customer: No, I'm just browsing(or looking). O

Have a great Sunday window shopping!

Phil

No comments: