Sunday, July 4, 2010

I'm feeling lethargic...

Do you understand this sentence? Recently, Kyoto has been really hot and humid and it is making me feel lethargic.

Now, the medical definition of lethargic is that someone is in an almost coma-like state, they can't speak, move, etc. But when people use lethargic in casual conversation they usually just mean they feel tired and don't want to do ANYTHING-not even move! So lethargic is stronger than lazy.

Lazy is when you don't want to work, you want to do nothing.

Lethargic is when you don't feel like doing anything. Maybe you want to do something but you just can't find the energy to do it.

Sluggish is similar to lethargic but, to me, when I hear sluggish I think of moving SLOWLY and not thinking clearly. Whereas, lethargic people don't want to move at all.

If I feel sluggish, maybe I still want to do something but because of a hangover or something I am moving slowly and can't think as quickly as usual.

The opposite of lethargic is energetic. In Japanese, lethargic is:

不活発; 不活溌 (ふかっぱつ)

Lethargic is an adjective, the noun is lethargy.

He suffers from lethargy. (n)

He is lethargic. (adj)

Hmmm, maybe it is natsubate that is making me feel lethargic~! hahaha

Have a nice week,

Phil

P.S. this page has many sample sentences using lethargic

No comments: